Senior Billing Coordinator – San Francisco, CA
Essential Job Functions
The Senior Billing Coordinator serves as the primary billing contact for assigned Partners/clients and is accountable for ensuring that all billing transactions are processed accurately and timely, in accordance with client and Firm policies.
Individuals in this key role are expected to exhibit strong customer service and interpersonal skills/judgment in communications with attorneys, staff, vendors, and clients of the Firm, including safeguarding the confidentiality of client and Firm information.
Billing Coordinators are responsible for the active administration of all facets of the billing and collection function. Responsibilities include accurately and timely preparation and management of client invoices, working with the Partners to monitor the status of open matters, and active follow-up on outstanding receivables. The individual must be able to meet tight deadlines and work overtime as periodically required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Administration of assigned attorney/client billing responsibilities:
- Process billing transactions accurately and timely for assigned Partners and clients
- Monitor the aging of unbilled fees for assigned Partners/clients
- Monitor outstanding accounts receivable, unapplied funds and collection efforts
- Meet with Partners to discuss monthly billing, outstanding invoices and strategy for collections
- Handle special projects and provide financial data and analysis, as needed/requested
- Generate Billing Information Memos for assigned Partners/clients at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline:
- Review Billing Information Memos for misallocated time and ensure time entries are in accordance with client policy
- Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers
- Prepare and provide monthly estimates/accruals to clients and provide monthly analyses for actual vs. estimates to Partners
- Knowledge and application of specific billing requirements of assigned clients
- Prepare billing packages for each assigned Partner/client (drafting cover letters, invoices)
Edit draft invoices based on Partner mark-ups, which can include:
- Write-offs (in accordance with firm policies/procedures)
- Time/cost transfers; researching the appropriateness of where entries should be billed
- Edit time entry narratives (additions, corrections, deletions)
- Verify client specific rate accommodations and if necessary, apply approved discounts to the face of the invoices; track volume billing requirements based on thresholds reached.
- Assemble supporting documentation to be included with final invoices based on client billing requirements
- Generate billing variance reports and write-off reports; obtain appropriate write-off approvals based on firm established policies/thresholds
- Prepare electronic invoices in LEDES or other prescribed formats; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions
- Establish working relationships with e-billing site vendors; ensure all timekeepers and rates are up to date on the sites; submit timekeepers and rates for approval as needed.
- Ensure three-way communication between e-billing site, client and the Firm
- Monitor the status of submitted bills, identify issues and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise
Monitor accounts receivable:
- Proactively follow-up with Partners and clients
- Collaborate with Billing and Collection Committee members and/or Financial Managers to coordinate billing and collection efforts
- Provide assistance to Partners and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices
- Proactively monitor unapplied cash for closing deals and provide analyses to Partners on cash status
- Prepare and maintain status updates in Firm’s collection database
- Mentor entry level and mid-level billing coordinators; lead by example and provide training and guidance in conjunction with the Billing Supervisor
Qualifications & Requirements
- Communicate/alert the Associate Director Billing Services regarding billing and collection status and potential issues
- The Billing Coordinator will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business. At least 5 years of previous billing experience in a law firm or professional services company is required.
- 3 -5 years of management experience preferred.
- The Senior Billing Coordinator is expected to perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients and attorneys while producing a high quality work product. The ability to multitask and prioritize is essential.
- The Senior Billing Coordinator must possess outstanding interpersonal skills in order to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently. The ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced, highly demanding environment is required. Additional requirements include outstanding customer service demeanor and flexibility for possible overtime hours.
- Opportunities to expand responsibilities and progress within the Billing Services function are available for individuals based on strong performance and the desire to grow.
- MS Office with emphasis on Word and Excel Elite 3E Electronic Billing Systems
Please email your resume for immediate consideration to: email@example.com