A top-notch Law Firm has a non-exempt position available in their St. Louis office for a full-time Legal Administrative Assistant (IP Patent Prosecution) with a minimum of two years of legal experience (three to five years preferred). Two years of patent prosecution experience required. Qualified applicants will possess a high school degree or equivalent. Associate’s Degree in administrative assistance or secretarial science preferred. The person selected for this position must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. This position is eligible for a hybrid-remote work schedule beginning January 2022.
- Provides legal administrative support to assigned timekeepers, including calendaring, drafting and editing standard legal correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents.
- Maintains IP Department specific databases.
- Prepares and files documents with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) including applications, responses, assignments, powers of attorney, etc.
- Maintains patent docket for US patents.
- Prepares status summary reports for attorneys and clients.
- Works closely with attorneys, paralegals, and docketing department on all aspects of patent prosecution.
- Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail and electronic communications. Ensures that outgoing mail and communications are delivered in a timely manner. If necessary, routes mail to a specific delivery service and follows-up on timely delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes the Firm and IP department calendar system. Schedules appointments for timekeepers as necessary and/or as requested.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with appropriate department and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files, and prepares files to be closed.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
Processes bills; proofs billing statements; reviews and edits bills.
- Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, receptionists, business office, administrative support assistants, paralegals, IP Docketing etc.); proofs documents returned from word processing; insures that attorney timesheets are entered and released on a timely manner.
- Performs overload typing, filing, photocopying or other legal administrative assistant duties as time permits and as requested by the team lead and/or other timekeepers. Also assists other legal administrative assistants with their workload as needed.
- Ability to navigate various patent databases, including (but not limited to) the USPTO.
- Must possess advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word and Excel.
- Must possess knowledge of patent prosecution process, terminology, and associated deadlines.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft, dictation or transcription at a level of seventy (70) wpm preferred.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine correspondence and other typed material.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Must have ability to read, write and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
- Must possess strong attention to detail, ability to balance multiple projects and have strong time management skills.
- Must have ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
Please email your resume to: email@example.com