Law Firm Business Development Manager - Silicon Valley, CA
The Business Development Manager is responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategically focused business initiatives to secure new clients and strengthen existing relationships, consistent with the overall goals and strategies of the firm. Working across practice areas, and integrating cross-practice with the full Business Development team, the Business Development Manager will coordinate and integrate efforts to ensure that the group provides the highest quality programs and resources available to the partnership, office and to specific practice areas.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential functions:
Knowledge Skills and Ability:
- Meet with SVO partners to assist with any requests regarding Business Development efforts (pitches, RFPs, events).
- Develop content and determine the most effective approach for client presentations.
- Oversight of all BD strategy for SVO initiatives in conjunction with senior BD team in NY.
- Review and edit all directory submission (Chambers, IFLR, Legal 500 etc) for practices/individuals in SVO.
- Advise on pitch process, winning selling strategies, client service initiatives; execute post mortem reviews; and help manage client relationships. Oversee and take accountability for preparation of presentation materials for business development targets.
- Team with functional specialists within Business Development & Communications, including CRM, Communications, events, research, creative services and external PR agencies.
- Identify strategies and opportunities for expanding client relationships among practice groups by monitoring and reporting trends and issues impacting selection of external counsel.
- Primary responsibility for oversight of SV presence on firm website.
- Provide research, synthesis and presentation of information for high-level decision-making: industry sectors, geographic markets, current and potential clients.
- Monitor local market and track activities of competitors to identify new, effective and innovative business development techniques and enterprise strategies.
- Strategize, organize and execute local client events.
- Participate in development of common metrics across the spectrum of business development activities.
- Any additional responsibilities required by management.
- 5+ years of marketing-related experience in the areas specific to industry practice lines; doing pitches for new business initiatives in a professional services organization, preferably in a law firm.
- Top 100 Law firm or investment banking experience.
- Ability to work with senior partners in business development opportunities.
- Strong writing, presentation and organizational skills.
- Drive and enthusiasm to work and complete assignments under tight scheduling deadlines in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated customer service focus and team-first orientation.
- Ability to respond quickly under tight deadline pressure.
- Proven creativity, conceptual skills development and resourcefulness, as well as demonstrated experience effecting organizational initiatives and vision.
- Excellent consultative and consensus-building skills in working with Partners and Senior attorneys.
- Organizational and political savvy in working within a large professional services organization.
- Ability to negotiate individual, group and firm-wide needs and to interface successfully with multiple levels of business development team (partners, associates, legal support staff and other marketing staff).
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with the firm’s entire marketing staff.
- 4 year College degree
- MBA or a JD a plus (not required)
Please email your resume for immediate consideration to: email@example.com